Victor C. Li, Ph.D.
Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
Office:2326 GG Brown
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
2350 Hayward, 2326 GG Brown
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2125
Ph.D., Brown University, Providence, RI, 1981
M.S., Brown University, Providence, RI, 1978
B.S. (Engineering), Brown University, Providence, RI, 1977
B.A. (Economics), Brown University, Providence, RI, 1977
- Fellow, American Concrete Institute, 2010
- Fellow, IA-FraMCoS, 2010
- Distinguished Faculty Achievement Award, 2007
- Fellow, World Innovation Foundation, 2005
- Stephen S. Attwood Excellence in Engineering Award, UM Coll. of Engineering. 2004-2005
- Finalist, Frank Annunzio Award for “cutting edge” innovations, Christopher Columbus Fellowship Foundation, 2005
- Honorary Doctorate, Tech. Univ. of Denmark, Denmark, 2004
- President, IA-FraMCoS, 2001-2004
- Knud Højgaard Chair Visiting Professor, Tech. Univ. of Denmark, Denmark, 1999-2004
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1999
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers, 1998
- Keynote/Plenary Speaker
- RILEM Conference, Hong Kong, 9/2011
- Int’l Conf. on Future Concrete, Qatar, 2010
- Int’l Conference on Advanced Concrete Materials, Stellenbosch, S. Africa, 2009
- 2nd Int’l Conf. on Self-Healing Materials, Chicago, 2009
- NRMCA Concrete Tech Forum, Denver, 2008
- Congress 2008 - Concrete: Construction's Sustainable Option, Dundee, Scotland, 2008
- 1st Int’l Conf. on Self Healing Materials, Noordwijk, the Netherlands, 2007
- 10th Int’l Inorganic-Bonded Fiber Composites Conf., Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2006
- Japan Society of Civil Engineers TC-334, Tokyo, Japan, 2006
- Int’l Conference on Fracture of Materials: Moving Forwards, Sydney, Australia, 2006
- Knud Højgaard Conf. on Advanced Cement-Based Materials, Denmark, 2005
- 6th RILEM Symp. on Fiber Reinforced Concrete (FRC), Varenna, Italy, 2004
- Conf. on Fibre Composites, HPC and Smart Materials, Chennai, India, 2004
- Int'l Workshop on Sustainable Concrete Technology, Beijing, China, 2004
- JCI Japanese Symposium on DFRCC, Japan, 2003
- Fiber Society on Engineering with Fibers, Loughborough, UK, 2003
- Japan Concrete Institute Workshop on DFRCC, Takayama, Japan, 2002
- Member, Advisory Board/Scientific Committee of the following Int'l Conferences:
- Int’l Conf. on Microstructure Durability of Cementitious Comp., Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2012
- BEFIB Fibre Reinforced Concrete, Guimaraes City, Portugal, 2012
- RILEM Week, Hong Kong, China, 2011
- Int’l Symp. on Cement & Concrete (ISCC), Ji’nan, China, 2010
- Int’l Conf. on Service Life Design for Infrastructure, Delft, The Netherlands, 2010
- European Conference of Fracture (ECF 18), Dresden, Germany, 2010
- Fracture Mechanics of Concrete & Concrete Structures (FraMCoS 7), Korea, 2010
- Int’l Conf. on Computational Technologies in Concrete Structures (CTCS'09), Korea, 2009
- Int’l Conf. on Self-Healing Materials (ICSHM), Chicago, US, 2009
- Int’l Conf. on Durability of Concrete Structures (ICDCS 2008), Hangzhou, China, 2008
- Int’l Symp. on Hydration, Microstructure and Durability, Nanjing, China, 2008
- Int’l Conf. on Challenges for Civil Construction, Porto, Portugal, 2008
- 8th Int’l Symp. on Utilization of High Performance Concrete, Tokyo, Japan, 2008
- Symp. on Advances in Construction Materials, Germany, 2007
- Int’l Workshop on HPFRCC, Mainz, Germany, 2007
- 1st Int’l Conf. on Self-Healing Materials, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, 2007
- Int’l Workshop on Fracture of Materials, Sydney, Australia, 2006
- Int’l Workshop on Durability of Reinforced Concrete, Qingdao, China, 2005
- 11th Int'l Conf. On Fracture (ICF11), Turin, Italy, 2005
- Int'l Conf. on Advances in Concrete & Construction (ICACC-2004), India, 2004
- Int'l Conf. on Concrete under Severe Conditions CONSEC 04 Seoul, Korea, 2004
- 6th RILEM Symposium on Fibre-Reinforced Concrete, Varenna, Italy, 2004
- HPFRCC-4 Int'l Workshop, Ann Arbor, US, 2003
- Int'l Fiber Society Symposium, Loughborough, UK, 2003
- Japan Concrete Institute Workshop on DFRCC, Takayama, Japan, 2002
Fellow of American Concrete Institute (ACI), the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), IA-FraMCoS and World Innovation Forum
Member, Advanced Materials Council, National Institute of Building Sciences, 2009-present
Member, Steering Committee of Int’l Conf. on Self-Healing Materials, 2009-present
Chair, RILEM Technical Committee HFC, 2004-present
Member, General Council, Int’l Union of Laboratories and Experts in Construction Materials, Systems, and Structures (RILEM), 2005-present
Advisor, Concrete Committee, Subcommittee on Design and Construction of HPFRCC, Japan Society of Civil Engineers, 2004-present
Member, Executive Committee, Michigan Transportation Research Board, 2004-present
Founding member, Transportation Research Inst. in Michigan (TRIM).
Member, Editorial Advisory Committee, RILEM J. of Materials and Structures, 2004-present
Member, Editorial Advisory Board, J. of Adv. Concrete Tech., Japan Concrete Institute, 2001-present
Member, Scientific Committee of the Cariplo Foundation, Milano, Italy, 2009
My research interest includes the design, processing and characterization of smart fiber reinforced cementitious composites, for protective and sustainable built environments. My research group engages in interdisciplinary research linking industrial ecology and structural health monitoring with bio-inspired materials design to enhance harmony between the built and the natural environment.
Sakulich, A.R. and V.C. Li, “Nanoscale Characterization of Engineered Cementitious Composites (ECC),” J. Cement and Concrete Research, 41(2), 169-175, 2011.
Yang, Y., E.H. Yang, and V.C. Li, “Autogenous Healing of Engineering Cementitious Composites at Early Age,” J. Cement and Concrete Research, 41, 176-183, 2011.
Kan, Li-Li, H.S. Shi, A.R. Sakulich, and V.C. Li, “Self-Healing Characterization of Engineered Cementitious Composites (ECC), ACI Materials J., 107 (6), 617-624, 2010.
Sahmaran, M., and V.C. Li, “Engineered Cementitious Composites: Can Composites be Accepted as a Crack-free Concrete?” TRB Transportation Research Record, No. 2164, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, D.C., 2010, pp. 1–8.
Zhang, H., M. Lepech, G. Keoleian, S. Qian, V.C. Li, “Dynamic Life Cycle Modeling of Pavement Overlay System: Capturing the Impacts of Users, Construction, and Roadway Deterioration,” ASCE J. Infrastructure Systems, 16 (4), 299-309, 2010.
Zhou, J., S. Qian, M.G.M. Beltran, G. Ye, K. vanBreugel, and V.C. Li, “Development of Engineered Cementitious Composites with Limestone Powder and Blast Furnace Slag,” RILEM J. of Materials and Structures, 43 (6), 803-814, 2010.
Sahmaran, M., and V.C. Li, “Durability Properties of Micro-Cracked ECC Containing High Volumes Fly Ash,” J. Cement and Concrete Research, 39, 1033-1043, 2009.
Sahmaran, M., M. Lachemi, and V.C. Li, “Assessing the Mechanical Properties and Microstructure of Fire-Damaged Engineered Cementitious Composites,” ACI Materials J., 297-304, 2010.
Li, V.C. and M. Li, “Influence of Material Ductility on the Performance of Concrete Repair,” ACI Materials J., 106 (5) 419-428, 2009.
Lepech, M.D. and V.C. Li, “Water Permeability in Engineered Cementitious Composites,” J. of Cement and Concrete Composites, 31(10) 744-753, 2009.
Lepech, M.D. and V.C. Li, “Application of ECC for Bridge Deck Link Slabs,” RILEM J. of Materials and Structures, 42 (9) 1185-1195, 2009.
Yang, E.H., M. Sahmaran, Y. Yang and V.C. Li, “Rheological Control in the Production of Engineered Cementitious Composites,” ACI Materials J., 106(04) 357-366, 2009.
Yang, Y., M.D. Lepech, E.H. Yang, and V.C. Li, “Autogenous Healing of Engineering Cementitious Composites under Wet-Dry Cycles,” J. Cement and Concrete Research, 39, 382-390, 2009.
Lepech, M.D., V.C. Li, R.E. Robertson, and G.A. Keoleian, “Design of Ductile Engineered Cementitious Composites for Improved Sustainability,” ACI Materials J., V. 105, No. 6, 2008.
Sahmaran, M., V.C. Li, and C. Andrade, "Corrosion Resistance Performance of Steel-Reinforced Engineered Cementitious Composites Beams," ACI Materials J., 105(3) 243-250, 2008.
Lepech, M.D., and V.C. Li, “Large Scale Processing of Engineered Cementitious Composites,” ACI Materials J., 105(4) 358-366, 2008.
Sahmaran, M., and V.C. Li, “Durability of Mechanically Loaded Engineered Cementitious Composites under Highly Alkaline Environment”, J. Cement and Concrete Composites, 30(2) 72-81, 2008.
Sahmaran, M., M. Li, and V.C. Li, “Transport Properties of Engineered Cementitious Composites Under Chloride Exposure,” ACI Materials J.,
104(6) 604-611, 2007.
Yang, E.H., Y. Yang, and V.C. Li, “Use of High Volumes of Fly Ash to Improve ECC Mechanical Properties and Material Greenness,” ACI Materials J., 104(6) 620-628, 2007.
Wang, S., and V.C. Li, “Engineered Cementitious Composites with High Volume Fly Ash,” ACI Materials J., 104 (3) 233-241, May-June, 2007.
Sahmaran, M., and V.C. Li, “De-icing Salt Scaling Resistance of Mechanically Loaded Engineered Cementitious Composites,” J. Cement and Concrete Research, 37, 1035-1046, 2007.
Li, V.C., “Integrated Structures and Materials Design,” RILEM J. of Materials and Structures, 40 (4) 387-396, 2007.
Kanda, T. and V.C. Li, “Practical Design Criteria for Saturated Pseudo Strain Hardening Behavior in ECC,” J. Advanced Concrete Technology, 4(1) 59-72, 2006. [JACT Best Paper Award, 2007].
Wang, S., and V.C. Li, “High Early Strength Engineered Cementitious Composites,” ACI Materials J., 103 (2) 97-105, 2006.